Information for Real Estate Professionals
In today's real estate market, Realtors® have a tough time with a surplus of homes on the market and fewer buyers. Homes with solar technology system are attractive because the overall cost of operating a solar home is less than a comparable non-solar home. And any advantage for both buyers and sellers is a plus.
Research* released by the California Energy Commission reveals that California home buyers want solar and energy efficient homes:
- 91 percent of Californians view energy efficiency in the home as an important factor when considering the purchase of a new home.
- 70 percent said the cost of the monthly electricity bill was an important factor in their decision to buy a new home.
- 81 percent believe that a solar electric system lets a homeowner start saving on monthly living costs immediately.
* The New Solar Homes Partnership market research was conducted by an independent contractor, Fairbank, Maslin, Maullin & Associates, from March to May 2007. Market research materials are available online at: www.gosolarcalifornia.org/tools/marketing/.
The California Energy Commission has created a Brochure for real estate professionals about new solar homes.
- Realtors® Save Your Home Buyers Money and Energy in a New California Sun-Certified Energy Efficient Solar Home. Brochure for real estate people. (PDF file, 2 pages, 603 kb)
Solar Advantage Value Estimator (SAVE)
The California Energy Commission launched an online solar valuation tool, Solar Advantage Value Estimator (SAVE) to assist real estate professionals, appraisers, lenders, and bankers with determining the added value of an installed solar photovoltaic (PV) system on a new and /or existing solar home. The Commission has scheduled a series of WebEX trainings to inform the real estate, appraiser, banking and lender industries of this free online tool. More information about the Solar Advantage Value Estimator (SAVE) is available at: www.gosolarcalifornia.org/tools/save.php.